(Maria-sama~)

(maria-sama~)

Monday, July 12, 2010

Summer Anime 2010: Debut Reviews VIII

Shiki

To be honest, most of this episode was really boring. I watched the first 8 minutes, then ate dinner and watched the last episode on my Toradora! dvds, watched the next few minutes and then took a shower, and then I finally finished it up. But even while most of it was uneventful, the last few minutes were actually scary and really intriguing.

Take the main character of the episode, Megumi. She's really boring, annoying, and kind of a brat. I mean, I live in a small town. Sure, I'd like to see the world, but I don't stalk people from the city. That was really creepy and any attempts the show made to have the viewers sympathize with Megumi went straight down the tubes after that.

I guess she really does treat others the way she wants to be treated...


But at the near end of the show, we got treated to an awesome twist which not only brought up interest in the residents of the huge out-of-place mansion built in the village (one of the people living there has the stupidest hair I have ever seen in my entire life -- if it doesn't have something to do with his being a demon or something I will be very disappointed). The atmosphere became a lot creepier and we got to see that the story will revolve around the other characters rather than Megumi herself. I called her the main character of this episode because, well... SPOILER!

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN


As for the plot itself, it has shown less of itself than Occult Academy. At least the latter had a naked man appear at the end to give us a hint of where the show is going. Shiki just had some mysterious deaths that can't even be linked to each other yet. If you're looking for me to compare Shiki to Occult Academy more, not gonna happen. The two shows are completely different in style, atmosphere, and (presumably) subject matter.

For a first episode, interesting but enough going on to completely win me over. Its nice direction gives it another half-point.

Overall: 7.5/10

Shiki is available streaming legally (!) at funimation.com

No comments:

Post a Comment